Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Daddy's Girl

This book was beyond disturbing. I had no idea it was going to be about incest and sexual abuse when I picked it up. Besides being disturbing, I was bothered by how short the story was. I felt the author could have gone deeper and really put together a great story but maybe she wasn't ready to. I believe I read this was autobiographical, which is just depressing. It was very hard to read and the imagery was definitely graphic. It is deceiving because it looks like a children's book at first glance, but if a child ever got a hold of it they would be scarred for life.

It was a moving story but I must say I had a hard time reading it and not just because of the content, but because all the sisters looked the same and I had no idea what was going on at certain points. I just could not follow the story
line with the sisters. Did the father only molest Lilly or the others as well? And why was the Mother so morose and uncaring? The entire book was upsetting and I have no idea how Debbie Dreschler dealt with that growing up. It is sick. I read some interviews with her and she used the book as therapy. She is very brave to put her story out there
for everyone to see, I know a lot of victims of sexual abuse keep it internalized but it is good that she let it out. I do wonder what her family members and close friends think about her work, as I wonder that about many authors' families and friends. I think I will have to re read this story to fully understand it because when I first sat
down I didn't even know what to brace myself for.

No comments:

Post a Comment