Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Watchmen

Even though I hate comics about "superheroes" and "crime fighting" I thought I would give Watchmen a try. It reminded me why I hate them so much. I just could not get into this comic no matter how hard I tried.
I barely made it to 50 pages and I'd spent hours trying to like it. I don't know what it is but I just cannot get myself to like these types of books. They are tolerable in the theaters, but when written down
something happens.

I found this book to be very confusing and hard to follow. I had to look up characters several times on the internet to
figure out what was going on and who they were talking about. I spent more time going back in the book and searching for plot explanations online than actually reading. It was a painful experience to say the least. Granted the art was really catchy and the colors were vivd, but the story was not for me. I found the dialogue to be very corny and
irritating. Maybe if I had read this before all the major superhero movies came out I could appreciate it for being original, but after being bombarded with movies of the same genre, it just came off as trying too hard. I would like to see the movie, as I hear it is amazing but for now I am putting the book down before it is rewarded with anymore of my disdain. I think I will just have to accept that these types of comics are not for me, which is a shame because I love Sin City and 300 so much. Maybe those are different?

No comments:

Post a Comment