Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac

I absolutely LOVED this graphic novel. After I gave up on Watchmen, I immediately started reading this book and it was a very different experience. I was reading it fast and comprehending what was going on. My only complaint about the novel is the font they used. It was very hard to read and I found myself smashing the book against my face to try to see it. But other than that it was great. I usually am not fond of violent books or ones dealing with torture, but this one was done in such a way that it was more comical than gruesome. I loved Johnny's character and personality. He was so ridiculous it was hard not to sympathize with him and care for him.

And of course I loved Squee! I remember seeing that Squee has comic books too? I will have to check those out. Johnny's relationship with Squee was one of my favorite parts of the novel. It was so one sided, but it was funny to see Johnny's affections towards him in contrast to his hatred of humanity. I had the director's cut so I'm not sure if there were different things in mine than other books, but I loved the addition of Happy Noodle Boy comics. They were so absurd! They reminded me of a video on Youtube called "Rejected Commercials" by Don Hertzfeldt. I wonder if
Herzfeldt was inspired by Johnny? I'd really like to read more if there are any.

The comic was so twisted and ridiculous it was hard not to like. He never got caught and I guess it is because he was killing "unmemorable people." He was killing people people probably hated anyway. People others wish they could kill themselves. Johnny was a bit insane though, moreso schizophrenic I think. Talking to a nail
bunny and doughboys.. painting the wall with blood so that giant monster wouldn't come out. The poor guy needed some serious help! But he was too funny to fix, it would be a shame to waste such perfect insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment