Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Persepolis

I had always wanted to read Persepolis, so when I saw it on the reading list I was excited. It started out a little slow for me. I wasn't expecting it to be so historical and it kind of turned me off at first. I probably should have read what the actual book was about before starting because it caught me off guard how political it was. Once I got over that the book was politically serious I really started to enjoy it. I had a hard time because I'm used to loving the main characters but this experience was different for me.

I found Marji extremely obnoxious and shallow in the beginning. She was sort of a follower and a know-it-all. I had to keep reminding myself how young she was because it was hard to relate to her. As she grew up and became more rebellious and non conformist I started to truly care for her.

Persepolis opened my eyes to a world I had known nothing of. I knew nothing of the Islamic Revolution before and I assumed the women had always been veiled. It made me feel ignorant but it was a good realization because the novel educated me on the people or Iran, not just the leaders. I was surprised how incredibly modern everything was. I really had no idea how westernized everything was. I loved how daring Marji was in showing off her denim jacket and Michael Jackson accessories. She stood up for herself and it was hilarious when she slapped her teacher! Her and her family were very lucky to not be harmed because they were close so many times. I was sad when the book ended but I am glad to know there is a Persepolis 2 AND a movie! I will check them both out.

No comments:

Post a Comment